Godefrey of Boloyne

william Morris's project to reprint works translated and printed by William Caxton, England's first printer, concludes with this edition of the History of Godefrey of Boloyne. In all, there were five Kelmscott editions of Caxton's works. In addition to the elaborate opening pages of the book, Morris introduced new marginal ornamentation and a new printer's mark at the end of the book. Morris elected to publish and sell the history himself, rather than retail it through the renowned London dealer Bernard Quaritch. This proved a poor decision as the book did not sell well and Morris's widow was compelled to give unsold copies away to public libraries in 1897.

The Lear center copy is bound in the original limp vellum with green ties at the foreedge. The book had been part of the collection of Elisha Loomis Palmer and was donated to the Library by his widow Cornelia Kissam Palmer in 1926.

cover title page page one colophon
Opening page Frontispiece First Page Colophon