Guide to the Colin S. Buell Papers, 1906-1938 (bulk 1910-1917)
|Repository:||Linda Lear Center for Special Collections and Archives, Connecticut College|
|Creator:||Buell, Colin S.|
|Title:||Colin S. Buell papers|
|Extent:||0.20 cubic feet (1 box)|
|Abstract:||Correspondence, notes, and fundraising material documenting Colin Sherman Buell’s role in the founding of Connecticut College.|
Colin Sherman Buell was an educator, civic leader, and a key figure in the founding of Connecticut College for Women. Born in Killingworth, Connecticut, on January 3, 1861 to J. Sherman and Frances J. (Hull), Buell graduated from Yale in 1885 and taught at the Lackawanna School in Scranton, Pennsylvania, before ill health forced him home to Connecticut a year later. Buell studied law before returning to teaching in 1887 at the Harvard School in Chicago. In 1888, Buell was hired as first assistant at the Bulkeley School, a boys’ high school in New London, Connecticut. He remained there until 1891, when he was elected first principal of the Williams Memorial Institute (WMI), a newly established high school for girls.
It was at the Williams Institute that Buell began his efforts to establish an institute of higher learning for women in New London. At the WMI commencement in 1894, Buell spoke of the necessity of a women’s college for Connecticut, and his hopes that the citizens of New London would rally around the cause. When his plan to expand WMI into a women’s college fell through, Buell turned his attention to prominent civic leaders, approaching Sebastian Duffy Lawrence (then-president of the National Whaling Bank) in 1907 to assist in drawing up plans, and then Rockefeller’s General Education Board in 1910. These efforts were ultimately rejected as too costly, as were further entreaties to private financiers.
In 1910, Buell wrote to Elizabeth Wright and the Hartford College Club of Wesleyan, who were leading their own campaign for a woman’s college in Connecticut in response to Wesleyan’s decision to stop admitting women to the university a year earlier. Wright and Buell combined efforts, and by 1911, had secured the funding to establish the new institution, thanks in large part to a frenzied campaign by the citizens of New London, who raised $135,000, and a million dollar bequest by financier and railroad tycoon Morton F. Plant. Buell was elected a trustee of the Connecticut College for Women, and later served as chair of the endowment committee.
This collection consists of the records pertaining to the founding of Connecticut College and the role of Colin Buell therein, including fundraising and campaign material; correspondence with Morton Plant, George Palmer, Elizabeth Wright, and other benefactors; and a portion of Buell’s diary.
[Item], Folder, Box, Colin S. Buell Papers. Linda Lear Center for Special Collections and Archives, Connecticut College.
Rebecca Parmer, 2015; updated April 2016.
Donated to Connecticut College by Mrs. Colin S. Buell, February 22, 1951.
Restrictions on Access
This collection is open to researchers.
|Buell, Colin S. (Colin Sherman), 1861-|
|Marshall, Benjamin Tinkham, 1872-|
|Plant, Morton F., 1852-1918|
|Sykes, Frederick Henry, 1863-1917|
|Wright, Elizabeth C., 1876-|
|Connecticut College for Women|
|Connecticut College for Women|
|Connecticut College for Women--Benefactors|
|Universities and colleges|
|Women’s colleges--Connecticut--New London|
Organized chronologically in a single series.
The following section contains a detailed listing of the materials in the collection